Tuesday, October 7, 2008

My New Culinary Discovery


Last night I was making "World's Best Lasagna" for dinner, when I went to reach for my crushed tomatoes, and found them MIA. So I hopped on the internet and searched for a suitable substitute- did you know that you should really make your own diced and crushed tomatoes? Yes, I know EVERY thing I read said to use your canned whole tomatoes (which are cheaper by the way) and simply dice or crush them. My first thought was "GREAT- I'll just put on my pioneer skirt and turn my own butter while I'm at it." Then I went on to read that by using whole tomatoes they are not processed nearly as much (better nutrition), they are the best value, and instead of getting a whole can of seeds left over from the bottom of the batch you get tomatoes (which is the goal here). Anyway- I thought it would be hard -WHAT?- then I remember that the General YW President told me "I can do hard things". And let's face it, it really was not that hard at all. For diced tomatoes they said just use you hands and break them up a bit, for crushed tomatoes I just used my potato masher! EASY!! I couldn't taste a difference- and my family was getting better nutrition- and I didn't even have to put on my pioneer skirt!

4 comments:

Natalie said...

You go girl! I think I would have had to wear the pioneer skirt (or at least a really cute retro apron.) BTW, your family pic on the sidebar is fantastic! Good looking group of people. :-)

annie valentine said...

I'm a diced tomato freak. Use them in everything. I'll give this suggestion a try and let you know.

somebodysmom said...

Oh the beautiful tomato. Must be at least 100 ways to fix them.

Randi said...

Hey, I wouldn't mind having a recipe for the world's best lasagna!