Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Bring it on!


Most of you already know that I am a holiday junkie! So to that I say BRING ON V-DAY! I love Valentines day, it's the only day that you can wear red and pink together and get away with it! So in honor of moving on to the next holiday last night we made Red Velvet Cupcakes. Yes, I know they were even as good as they sound! Although for the lack of chocolate abundance, I would say this particular recipe is more like "Raspberry" Velvet Cupcakes (meaning the color never really made it to red). I'm also a batter kinda girl, so if you just want some yummy batter mix this up and enjoy!  Oh, and please don't forget the Cream Cheese Frosting! Yummy, Yummy! 
Red Velvet Batter

2 1/2 cups flour
1 1/2 cups sugar
1 t baking soda
1 t salt 
1 t cocoa powder (more like 2 t when I was done with it)
1 1/2 cups vegetable oil 
1 cup buttermilk, room temperature
2 large eggs, room temperature
2 T red food coloring
1 t white distilled vinegar
1 t vanilla extract 

Preheat to 350- Mix together all wet ingredients, slowly add mixed dry ingredients to wet,  and mix until smooth and thoroughly combined. Fill muffin tins 2/3 full. Bake for 20 minutes. 

Cream Cheese Frosting

8 oz cream cheese, softened
1 stick butter, softened
1/2 t vanilla 
2 cups confectioners' sugar 

Beat cream cheese, butter and vanilla until smooth. Add sugar slowly, beating on low speed until incorporated. Increase speed to high and mix until light and fluffy. 

2 comments:

Sunni said...

Good thing I didn't make a new years resolution about treats, cause I'm making these! I'm sad we missed you while you were here!! That stinks. Trace was just telling me yet again that he wants to play with David. Hope your back in town soon so we can catch up!

somebodysmom said...

Was it is red as the picture when you added more coco?