Friday, January 28, 2011

Picking up the pieces.....of confetti!


This morning I found myself picking up after my toddlers 3 year old birthday party. I knew the second I opened that package I would be picking up pieces of confetti for days, maybe weeks, but it would all be worth the smile on his sweet little face. I think I must have spent a good 20 minutes on my knees in one corner trying to coax the small pieces of confetti into the dust pan. After the floor finally looked clean I started to fill the mop bucket with hot sudsy water I turned around to mop, and there they were small pieces of confetti still dotting the floor. I laughed out loud, after all I knew what I was up against.

The beautiful bright dots of confetti scattered on the floor made me realize my life has been dotted with beautiful bright people. My mother has always told me life is a patch quilt, you'll meet people all along the way that will hand you pieces to your quilt, and you get to choose, "Is this a piece I want to put into MY masterpiece?" Whether you choose to use that piece you were handed or not, it all effects you and the direction of your masterpiece.

Holding my steaming bucket of mop water staring at the bright dots all over the floor, I finally understood what my mother meant. Each one of those dots were people, experiences, moments that changed my life forever (whether I knew it or not). Some were shining moments in my life, others were dark, but each one shaped and molded me into who I am today.

It was fun to pick up the confetti now, I would hold it and think of which person, or moment it represented in my life. I look forward to picking up the pieces of confetti for weeks to come!
Happy Birthday Andrew! I loved hearing "You have got be kidding me!" as you opened your presents. I loved the ring of chocolate around your smiling mouth, left from your yummy chocolate birthday cupcake! I love that YOU ARE one of the beautiful bright dots of confetti that has changed my life forever!


1 comment:

Mills Family said...

Amy, you are great. I love reading your blog - it is so uplifting and inspiring. I feel like you are a piece of confetti in my life. Thanks!