Thursday, January 27, 2011

Happy, Hopeful & Fulfilled


When I was a little girl my mom always told me "If your pretty you have to be 5 times as nice!" I remember hearing this phrase dozens of times in my life, one memory sticks out in my head. I was riding down the street with my mom, me in the front seat, her driving as this phrase spilt from her mouth. At that moment is where I learned/discovered that a simple smile is the kindest gesture you can offer anyone.
Why is it that smiling is one of the most challenging things we do? I often have people ask how I can be so happy all of the time, I'll tell you my secret. "People are just about as happy as they make up their minds to be." And some days frankly I choose to be in a really mad mood, at least until my husband calls me out, and makes me say "I want to be in a bad mood", and as that phrase pushes it's way from my half smiling mouth, well... it's really hard to keep a straight face.

"God's plan is a plan of ultimate joy for each of us. His principle suffice in any situation. But each of us, young and old must face our challenge in our own way. Each one of us must reach for our own joy."

How grateful I am that I get to choose each day what makes my happy, what makes me feel hope, and what makes me feel fulfilled. Oh motherhood has taught me so much!

Funny how life recycles it's self, I found myself repeating the same phrase to my sweet girls the other day, while we were driving in the car, I wonder what they will take from the phrase. I hope they choose to live a life that is happy, hopeful, and fulfilling!

2 comments:

Rebecca Carter said...

Amy ~ I love your smile and I love you! Keep sharing your heart and the world will be a better place because of you!

Bridget said...

LOVE this! And it describes YOU to a T. :)