Monday, November 7, 2016

Week 08 Pride


Pride. Guilty.

It seems like such an easy topic to understand, but really most of us don’t really understand pride.

For the past few years I have really been struggling with a relationship in my life. At some points in the past years it has really eaten me up. I have spent weeks discussing, figuring, trying to mend and figure out this relationship. I have even thrown in the towel, and told myself that this relationship isn’t important. I have gone through all degrees with the relationship from completely blocking this person out to trying all I could to let this person in. Even now, I am currently at a stand still, nothing positive, nothing negative. But, nothing seems to work!  Nothing seems to be helping me with this relationship.

Although it feels like I have had a light bulb moment this week.
Could the problem in my relationship really be pride?

27 years ago President Ezra Taft Benson gave an unforgettable address in the Spring General Conference for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. President Benson warned, “Beware of Pride. “

President Benson taught, “ The proud make every mean their adversary by pitting their intellects, opinions, works, wealth, talents, or any other worldly measuring device against others… They feel worthwhile as individuals if the numbers beneath them in achievement, talent, beauty, or intellect are large enough. Pride is ugly. It says, “If you succeed, I am a failure.”

Again, Pride. Guilt.

It may not be as harsh as the quote sounds above. But, pride has always been an issue in this relationship. I don’t know where the damaging sense of competition was born, but I do know now that I can change my actions to make the relationship better.

So how can I begin to heal this relationship? President Benson said, “The antidote for pride is humility- meekness, submissiveness. It is a broken heart and contrite spirit.”

As painful as it may be to point out my faults, and where I am falling short more than anything I want to see progress and growth in my life, and my relationships. Yes. I have much more to study and to do to build a healthy relationship. But, I think I’ve got a great starting point.

No comments: