Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Sometimes I forget!


Sometimes I forget, that my job is to teach! I get swept up in the daily, and the Christmas decorating, and forget that my entire job (being Mom) is to teach. Today David came home from school with a little something extra in his backpack (a battery that he had taken from Miss Linda's) so I ask him about it, he says he just took it from Miss Linda's, cause he wanted to. I had to decide quickly what in the world to do. 

Option #1 pack up the car with all 90 of my kids, drive across town 15 minutes to return a stinkin'  AA battery. 

Option #2 scold him about stealing make him sit on the naughty bench, and return it on Friday (if we all remember). 

Option #3 forget about it, and wake up one day with a 19 year old that is stealing cars, and robbing peoples houses (I do come from a family of over exaggerators (is that how you spell that?) 

Option #4 Oh wait, he is to young to go to jail. 

Anyway, after 2 seconds of really considering #2- I proceeded with Option #1. We loaded the car, and drove across town (30 minutes round trip) and the light bulb really went off, I could be mad, that this took me away from cleaning the house, making dinner, and decorating the Christmas tree (yup, still isn't done, remember the cold!), or I could do my job TEACH! So all things said, it was a good 30 minutes to teach about honesty, repentance, the power of forgiveness, and to scare the boy to death (just kidding). With big tears in his eyes, he said he was sorry, and that he knows better, and asked if she would forgive him. She handled the situation perfectly- got right down to his face and gave him a big hug and forgave him, and said that doing the right thing is hard sometimes, and thanked him for being honest. Thanks Miss Linda for helping teach a little boy such BIG principles. I really do love my job!

8 comments:

somebodysmom said...

Sounds like you deserve an a++. Being a mom sometime hurts.

somebodysmom said...

Are you feeling better?

Randi said...

Way to go Amy!
Sometimes it's so hard to see the forest for the trees, isn't it? You did a perfect perfect job with that.

Anonymous said...

Way to go! All this Christmas decorating and no Christmas blog? I'm disappointed. Haha.

Tam said...

Very impressive. There is nothing worse than being sick and having to do something you really dont want to do (but know you need to do). I am incredibly impressed. Remind me to tell you about Taeya stealing a friends NASTY-cavity ridden tooth. Yuck! You were very sweet to call and offer help. Its nice when my parents come -- I can bake all I want while they play with my kids!

Becca Sharp said...

Wow! Nice job on using that teaching moment! I'll have to remember your example when I'm faced with a similar situation. You are amazing!

Michelle Kay said...

Amy, you are so funny. I love reading your cute posts! You're such a cute mom!

TravisandLori said...

What a sweet story. You're exactly right about teaching. I OFTEN forget that that is my most important job as a mom.